Monday, January 9, 2012

Monday's Updates

I thought it would be much easier to update everyone using a blog than to try to call and talk to everyone about what is going on. I feel really grateful for all the support you've all given in calling and emailing and texting. I'm sorry I haven't been as responsive as I wish I could have. Things have been very crazy!

So if you don't know what's been going on here are the basics. Aimee has been having migraines for a couple months and they've been escalating. It's been quite debilitating and she's missed lots of school because of the pain she's been in. We hadn't been able to find any answers as to what was causing the headaches or how to stop them.

Yesterday afternoon she became very disoriented, her speech was slurred, she was seeing double, was dizzy and couldn't stand on her own. I took her to the ER and after doing a CT scan they found a subdural hematoma (she has a very small bleed in her brain).

Sunday night I rode with her in the back of the ambulance as she was transferred to Primary Children's Hospital. We spent the night here and all day today. She has a huge team of doctors working to help her. They don't have any absolute answers yet, but they've got some good leads that they're working on validating.

They think she may have too much cerebral spinal fluid which would be putting pressure on her brain and causing the symptoms she's been having including the headaches. Tonight she had several MRIs under anesthesia. They tried to perform the scans earlier without the anesthesia but she wasn't able to hold still enough. They're evaluating the scans now and are trying to make sure the bleed isn't increasing. They may do a spinal tap tomorrow to release some of the fluid and allow them to test the spinal fluid.

I'll try to post updates here throughout the day so I can keep everyone interested informed. You can leave Aimee and I messages here and I'll pass them onto her.

Thanks a bunch for all your love, concern, support and prayers!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Wendy and Garrett, words cannot express the sadness we feel at loseing sweet Aimee. She is such a beautiful girl with many talents. She will be greatly missed. My heart aches for you and your family. We are so blessed to have the blessings of the Temple. She must be very specail to our Father in Heaven to take her home so early. I send a great big hug, I wish I could put my arms around you, and we could cry together. Please let us know if there is anything at all we can do for your and your family. We love you. Linda and Paul Ostler

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just heard the news. I am sorry to hear about Aimee. She was so cute. I remember watching her on stage the last time I saw her. My girls where in the play with her for South Jordan. "High School Musical" She will be missed. I am sorry that you have to go through a trial like this one. I once heard that the Lord takes the most valient when they are young. I had a brain bleed a few years ago and I know that it is a scary and trying time. Much love and prayers your way.
    Lana Bass and family

    ReplyDelete

1 Year Mark

It's really hard for me to believe that 1 year has gone by. The last week was really hard. Two weeks ago I started having nightmares rel...