Friday, March 2, 2012

One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish...

When Aimee was very small I loved reading to her. Some of her favorite books were the Dr. Seuss books. She had me read them to her so many times that even as a teen she and I would giggle and repeat the words of different parts when we'd hear something that sounded like part of one of them.

Aimee loved One Fish Two Fish, Hop on Pop and Fox in Socks! I loved reading the bit in the Fox in Socks about the tweedle beetles. "When tweedle beetles battle it's a tweedle beetle battle..." So many fun memories reading to the kids!

We also loved the Dr. Seuss ABC book. I loved the part about "Aunt Annie's alligator" and Aimee and I would always giggle and talk about how we didn't think that Aunt Annie (ours, my sweet Nettie) would ride an alligator. I also loved the "Zans" part and how it opened cans. I told all of my kids when I'd read that part that I didn't think I'd like having one of those in my house. lol

When she was about 2 years old she was sitting on the couch at Grandma Sue's house holding a Dr. Seuss book reciting the words to the story and turning the pages as she went. My mom stopped and stood there open mouthed and said, "She can read?!" I told her no, that Aimee was really good at memorizing and I'd read her that book a few times.


Aimee could literally hear something a few times and memorize it. She was amazing that way! She starred as Annie in the Up With Kids Production of Annie when she was 5 years old and had it all memorized. I remember during the rehearsals that sometimes she would tell the other kids their lines too. Absolutely precocious, audacious and precious!

The photo on the right isn't the best quality, but it shows Aimee wearing her little orphan Annie outfit on stage after the production of Annie. She is holding her own "Oscar". All the kids got one after the play and it was so darling!

Garrett is scanning our old negatives from the "pre-digital" camera days. That sounds like prehistoric or something. So when I find some more of the adorable Aimee staring as Annie photos I took I'll post them. Hopefully I can find some of a better quality. She was the cutest Annie I've ever seen! There is also a video of the play, but I'm not sure what the copyright is on that so I'll check on it. The sound quality was bad too because they had an issue with their video equipment and hadn't let us use our own video cameras so I'm not sure if it will work or not. I'll see if I can find a part where it's just her singing "The Sun Will Come Out tomorrow" or something. She was darling and I so miss hearing her voice!

My all time favorite Dr. Seuss book is "Oh, the Places You'll Go". It is so uplifting and motivating! This is a book for all ages.

I am so glad that Dr. Seuss shared his gifts with the world! Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!

~Wendee

1 comment:

  1. I know that she passed when she was older than this picture. But this is the face I remember in my mind. Young and Sweet forever...

    ReplyDelete

1 Year Mark

It's really hard for me to believe that 1 year has gone by. The last week was really hard. Two weeks ago I started having nightmares rel...